My subscription to Life expired, but I still have a subscription to Mad.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Perseids: called on account of weather

Last night was the predicted peak of the Perseids meteor shower, so around 10:30 PM, I went outside, lied flat on the driveway, and stared up at the Milky Way for 20 minutes waiting for meteors.

About ten minutes into my outing, I spotted a very dim satellite pass directly overhead on a south-to-north path. I never saw a dim satellite before. All the ones I've seen in the past were bright, points of light, but last night's was dim. Maybe there are others that are dim and I just never noticed them before because they are dim. Go figure.

A few minutes later, I saw a meteor fly out of Cassiopeia on a southwest track.

Then the clouds began to roll in, so I gave up the quest, went inside, turned on the television, watched K1GF's weather forecast, and then Letterman until the decidedly unattractive Paula Abdul convinced me to shut off the television and go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment