My subscription to Life expired, but I still have a subscription to Mad.

Monday, March 8, 2010

marker

I took today off to go hiking through the woods surrounding us up here on Compounce Mountain. My goal was to find a concrete marker that I spotted in the middle of the woods a few years ago.

That occurrence was in the spring or summer and my hiking companion did not want to check out the marker because we would have had to cut through 100 to 200 feet of heavy brush to get to it.

I figured that it would be easier to get to the marker in early March before the foliage appeared, so this morning, I set off with my daughter to find the marker.

About 30 minutes into the hike, I found a marker, but not the one I had seen years ago. This marker was located on the north side of Old Alcott Road in Wolcott, which is a dirt road that served long-abandoned homes in the area. Now the road serves two purposes: access to the New Britain Reservoir and the Tunxis Blue (hiking) Trail.

The initials engraved into the marker (TLWS) did not make any sense to me, so I photographed the marker (image above) and we continued on our hike for another 90 minutes, but we did not encounter the other marker.

Returning home, I looked at my maps to retrace our hike and then I realized the purpose of the marker. The marker was located on the border between Wolcott and Southington, so I assume TLWS stands for Town Line Wolcott Southington.

I am trying to determine how old the marker might be, but so far, no luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment